How to make peace with money
Do not like to think about money? It seems like everyone around is cleverly managing their money, everyone but yourself? The truth is that money is a tool, and we decide where and how we apply it. Let’s try to use these 10 steps in order to make a long-term peace between us and money:
1. We clearly define our financial capabilities. The longer we ignore our finances, the more frightening and confusing things will become. We will make a list of all our annual income and expenses and carefully look at where we are now.
2. We control our debts. Given the circumstances of life, it is better to be without debt than with them, and the point here is not even the money itself. Uncontrolled debt can turn into an expanding black hole that will eagerly absorb everything.
3. We make a plan for our money. Most people feel more confident when they have a plan and long-term goals. It is time to fix your goals and steps to achieve them. This is a great way to motivate yourself and keep your attention focused on the material sphere.
4. There is nothing petty in caring for money. Paying the necessary amount of our attention to order in the material sphere, we do not become less spiritual or less cultural. Remember, it is important to stand firmly on your feet in order to be able to take care of others.
5. Let’s look at our shopping habits. Go to the store out of boredom? Buying things to cheer yourself up? Although the desire to pamper yourself is not a big problem, shopping is not a cure for all ills. Let’s look for other ways to get positive emotions, such as your favorite hobby, physical activity, meeting friends.
6. We make sure that we get as much as we deserve. Different jobs are paid differently. There are professions where salaries are much higher or lower than average. But, if we know that we represent value for our company, there is nothing wrong with demanding an increase or benefits to get as much as we cost.
7. Stop waiting for a miracle or a hero to save our financial situation. It is nice to dream of winning the lottery, the love of a rich prince or princess. Yes, of course, this can happen, but it is much more productive not to passively expect a miracle, but to actively act independently. Let’s become a miracle for ourselves!
8. Our self-esteem should not depend on the size of our well-being. Many people consider rich people more worthy than people with low incomes. Even middle-class people can fall into the trap, realizing that they are not so often able to indulge their family as the rich, and feel guilty and inferior from this. Remember, when you are worried about the limitations of your material capabilities, that there are people around who live much more modestly, but from that they are no less respected.
9. Do not be too subjective. Of course, many stupid decisions are made by different people every day, but there is no point in pointing out and discussing each of them. We can learn from the mistakes of other people, but if we begin to use them as an occasion to feed our sense of superiority, this will only increase our monetary anxiety. If we are kind and understanding the mistakes of others, we can better understand our mistakes in the financial sphere.
10. Investigate your financial fears. Talk with loved ones about money fears. It is useful to say such things aloud, then they lose their sharpness and acquire understandable dimensions. Perhaps someone is afraid to think about retirement, or someone spends more than he can afford for his girlfriend, in fear that she will turn away if he does not chase all her desires. Regardless of our fear, for sure there is a solution for him, if you understand its size and reasons.
Do not despair if you do not immediately get the above. Take consistent and persistent steps in this direction, and you will be freed from anxiety and stress due to your financial situation.